A volunteer is an unpaid individual providing assistance in the hospice care setting. A volunteer must be supportive and compassionate and nonjudgmental toward the patient and their caregiver. A volunteer works closely with hospice staff to provide optimal care for the patient and their caregiver. A Volunteer Orientation Program must be completed prior to service.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Provide emotional, physical and spiritual support
- Perform simple household tasks and run errands
- Provide respite care for family members by sitting with the patient
- Attend educational and in-service programs
- Document each patient contact for filing in the patient chart
- Provide feedback to the interdisciplinary team regarding patient/family needs and coping